INDIA, the land of different cultures, languages, traditions and religions also provides us with different demographic regions too. These different regions have a beauty of their own which reaches its zenith in the winter season. So here are some places which turn into heavenly abodes in winters and you can visit them to get some extraordinary experiences. From old traditional beauty to modern day fun activities, these places make you feel like home in the pure lap of mother nature.
1. GULMARG (JAMMU AND KASHMIR)
Situated in the “paradise on earth” itself, Gulmarg is one of the top favorite destinations for people to visit in winters. The snow covered Himalayan mountains and frozen lakes makes this place the perfect spot for skiing and snowboarding. Having one of the popular skiing resorts, this place is the perfect getaway for snow babies.
TOP ATTRACTIONS :
- Gulmarg Gondola, one of the highest cable cars in the world.
- Alpather Lake, frozen throughout the season.
- Baba Reshi Shrine.
- St. Mary’s Church, colonial era religious heritage.
- Nanga Parbat, breathtaking fairy scenic beauty.
2. AULI (UTTRAKHAND)
Residing in the picturesque devbhoomi (land of gods), this beautiful hill town is the best skiing destination in India.so much so that a ski championship is held in january every year.
It offers breathtaking views of some prominent peaks of Himalaya like Nanda Devi, Mana Parvat, Kamet, Trishul Peak, and others. Auli has its own great share of snowfall, it gets covered with a thick layer of snow starting from November to the end of February.
- Auli ropeway, one of the highest in the world .
- Skiing, with short span courses available too.
- Trekking to the beautiful trails.
- Camping, in nature.
- Auli Lake, a man-made lake.
3. DHARAMSHALA (HIMACHAL PRADESH)
Dharamshala a.k.a “The Little LHASA in India ” is India’s own small Tibet. The Dalai Lama, after being exiled in 1959, took shelter in this city with his followers and converted this city into India’s own Lhasa or little Lhasa. The city gives a perfect blend of Tibetan culture in the Indian background.
Dharamsala, being from the heavenly abode of Himalayas i.e. HIMACHAL has abundant deodar and pine forests giving the best aesthetic and spiritual aura for meditation and peace.
- Rich Tibetan heritage and culture
- Dalai Temple Complex and Aghanjar Mahadev Temple
- Namgyal, Gyuto Monastery for sightseeing.
- HPCA Stadium, the highest stadium in India.
- Explore Kangra Valley and Fort and McLeodganj.
4. JAIPUR (RAJASTHAN)
The Pink City, lined up with UNESCO World heritage sites like AMER FORT, JAIGARH FORT AND JANTAR MANTAR, are the best places to visit in winters for people who have a thing for royal arts and architecture.
The Capital City of Rajasthan is one the most loved cities in Northern India. Dotted with countless sites to visit. From Temples to Malls, Forts to Palaces, Historical Sites to Clubs, from Colorful shopping Markets to Royal Delicacies, from Royal Palaces to Modern Lavish Hotels. Jaipur is one of its own to visit in winters.
- City Palace, where the royal family of Jaipur.
- Nahargarh Fort, along with its sunset views.
- Jal Mahal, floating in an azure lake.
- Hawa Mahal, standing majestically in the pride of the city.
- Albert Hall Museums, Govind Ji Temple, and more.
- Choki Dhani, savor the local Rajasthani delicacies.
5. MUNNAR (KERALA)
This south indian pearl is often considered as the most desired honeymoon destination for couples. This place is a divine bliss of God’s own country .Munnar is famous for its great mesmerizing natural views, tea estates, and greenery. In winters, mist forms a beautiful layer in the natural beauty of Munnar adding to its aesthetics.
Munnar accommodates tourists from all across the globe throughout the year but winters bring the best out of Munnar. It is the perfect time for enjoying activities such as trekking, rappelling, and rock climbing.
- Tea Gardens and TATA Tea Museum.
- Eravikulam National Park and Anamudi Peak.
- Mattupetty Dam, boating with a view of a lifetime.
- Photo Point and Pothamedu view point for capturing moments through lens.
- One of its kind Homemade chocolates.
6. SHIMLA (HIMACHAL PRADESH)
The capital city of Himachal Pradesh, Shimla is known to be the most desired tourist destination for Indians, for centuries. The place receives heavy snowfall at the festive time of Christmas and New Year which is when the place reaches its zenith for attracting tourists.
Snowfalls in Shimla are also a very soothing experience, the valley when covered with white snow looks nothing less than a fairyland. It is one of the factors that make Shimla one of the best places for a Honeymoon in India in winter.
- Jakhoo Temple and the Christ Church.
- Skiing, Ice-skating, Trekking, Hiking, sightseeing.
- Kalka-Shimla Toy Train ride, a World Heritage Site.
- Mall Road, to eat, shop, and enjoy.
- Viceregal Lodge, Christ Church, for colonial architecture.
- Kufri, Chail, Mashobra, beautiful hill getaways close to Shimla.
The very definition of carefree happening life is GOA. The Party capital of India, known for its stellar nightlife, serene beaches, endless ocean, throbbing nightclubs, and pleasant climate.
Having been under the colonial rule of Portuguese, Goa has some gothic churches and marvelous monuments along with delicious seafood and ecstatic natural views which gives the idea of European life in the country.
- Goa Carnival, around New Year and Christmas.
- Mandovi River, for getting thrilled by floating casinos.
- Baga and Calangute beach, which attracts indian tourists most.
- Arjuna and Arambole, fascinates foreign crowds.
- Forts, Churches and Gushing Waterfalls.
8. RANN OF KUTCH (GUJARAT)
Who knew that a salty marshland which remains deserted throughout the year can be the center of attraction for tourists in winter? That’s the Rann of Kutch for you.
The region is inundated with water during the monsoon and in winter it transforms into this stunningly beautiful white land revealing the magic-like shimmering beauty of it, especially in the moonlight.
Apart from pleasant and calm weather , the famous two month long RANN UTSAV is held in the winter.
- Rann Utsav, the place belongs to fun in the shed of tradition and full of handicrafts.
- Traditional Crafts, wood-carving, tie and dye, embroidery, pottery, metal crafts.
- Desert Safari.
- Star Gazing and Camping.
- Dholavira, the ancient town worth seeing.
9. UDAIPUR (RAJASTHAN)
Considered as the “Venice of the East”, Udaipur is a place where one can’t resist to lose their heart in the beauty of the City. That is the reason Udaipur is named among the most romantic places in the world.
Lying in the ambience of Aravali hills, The city is blessed with a number of lakes, natural and Man-made. Lake Pichola remains the center of attraction for the tourists. The city gives both day and night life vacation goals. Winters add to the charm of the city. Glimpses of a trip to Udaipur include sightseeing, boat rides, puppet shows, shopping, cultural performances, dining.
A dinner date along the bank of lake Pichola is a must-have experience in life. Winter months are the best time for Udaipur, thus the time between October and March is when the city turns into a paradise for lovers.
- Lake Pichola, with its 4 islands Jag Niwas, Jag Mandir, Arsi Vilas, and Mohan Mandir.
- Kumbhalgarh Fort, best at night for its marvelous light and sound show.
- Sahelio ki Bari, Bagore Ki Haveli, to have pictures at best locations.
- Ropeway to Karni Mata Mandir.
- City Palace, Jagdish Temple, Monsoon Palace and many more.
10. GANGTOK (SIKKIM)
One of the most beautiful cities in the seven sister states, Gangtok plays an important role in the governance of North-East states. Apart from administrative importance, Gangtok is an important tourist destination. one the enjoy this pure icy-white bliss in the lap of Himalayas. The city remains white throughout the winter, covered with snow on ground and clouds on top.
A Perfect destination for winter vacation, Gangtok is a heaven to be in. one can enjoy the panoramic beauty of Gangtok with its snow-capped peaks, markets worth visiting, gondolas and monasteries. Winter adds to the beauty of the city as it does snow throughout the season.
- Nathula Pass, Indo-China border.
- Changu Lake, Jhakri Falls, Gurudongmar Lake for nature at its best.
- Rumtek Monastery, Pemayangtse Monastery, for peace and sanity.
Here we have discussed all about Best Places to Visit in Winter in India. We have listed the top 10 places to visit in winters.